The Traumatic Head and Spinal Cord Injury (THSCI) Trust Fund Program was created by the Louisiana Legislature in 1993 with Act 654. The THSCI program was created to provide services in a flexible, individualized manner to Louisiana citizens who survive traumatic head or traumatic spinal cord injuries. The THSCI program assists individuals to return to a reasonable level of functioning and independent living in their communities.
The Traumatic Head and Spinal Cord Injury (THSCI) Trust Fund provides:
· Funding of up to $15,000 for any 12-month period with a $50,000 life time maximum per person
· Services include evaluations, post-acute medical care rehabilitation, therapies, medication, attendant care, equipment necessary for activities of daily living, and other goods and services deemed appropriate and necessary
· Services are provided on a first-come, first-served basis
For more information about the THSCI Trust Fund program or to apply for services, call 1-888-891-9441.
Act 654 also authorizes the establishment of a resource center for persons with traumatic head or spinal cord injuries. The Resource Center is located in the Louisiana Advocacy Center at:
8325 Oak Street
New Orleans, LA 70118
Office Phone 504-982-0685
Toll Free 800-444-6443
The Resource Center provides:
· Toll-Free Helpline (800)444-6443
· Resource Directory of Services Statewide
· Community Outreach Activities
· Resources to assist with returning to work or school after injury
· Library of fact sheets, brochures, periodicals, and articles
· Information on local support groups
· Latest progress on scientific research, medical discoveries, and newest technologies
· Details on upcoming educational conferences, workshops, and other learning opportunities
Other BIALA services such as advocacy efforts, membership, etc.